Check here for CDC Breaking News
March 24 is World Tuberculosis Day
New diagnostic tools and coordinated treatment remain essential to elimination efforts in New York (NYSDOH)
Training on Saturday, February 25 from 8 AM - 1 PM - Buprenorphine Waiver Training For Clinical Providers
The NYSDOH, AIDS Institute is sponsoring a FREE buprenorphine waiver training for clinical providers. In response to the opioid overdose deaths in NYS, increased access to buprenorphine treatment for opioid overdose disorder is urgently needed. Under current regulations, clinic providers are required to obtain a "waiver" to prescribe buprenorphine.
February 10, 2017
Public Health Alert: Meningitis Confirmed in a Mount Vernon Woman
- August 26, 2016: FDA Issues Revised Guidance on Zika Blood Tests in the United States
- August 23, 2016: When to test for Zika (pdf - 1 page) (CDC)
- August 19, 2016: CDC Health Advisory - CDC Expands Guidance for Travel and Testing of Pregnant Women, Women of Reproductive Age, and Their Partners for Zika Virus Infection Related to Mosquito-borne Zika Virus Transmission in Miami-Dade, Florida.
- July 25, 2016: MMWR: Update: Interim Guidance for Health Care Providers Caring for Pregnant Women with Possible Zika Virus Exposure - United States, July 2016
- May 20, 2016: MMWR: Possible Zika Virus Infection Among Pregnant Women — United States and Territories, May 2016
- April 1, 2016: MMWR: Update: Interim Guidance for Prevention of Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus — United States, 2016 (CDC)
- March 11, 2016: NYSDOH letter regarding Zika virus and naloxone
- March 10, 2016 NYSDOH Health Advisory: Expansion of Zika virus testing to pregnant women who had unprotected sex with a partner who traveled to an area with active mosquito-borne transmission of Zika virus.
- Feb. 27, 2016 CDC MMWR: Transmission of Zika Virus through Sexual Contact with Travelers to Areas of Ongoing Transmission - Continental United States, 2016
- Feb. 27, 2016 CDC MMWR: Zika Virus Infection Among U.S. Pregnant Travelers - August 2015 - Febuary 2016
- Feb. 19, 2016 CDC MMWR: Update - Interim Guidelines for Health Care Providers Caring for Infants and Children with Possible Zika Virus Infection - United States, Feb. 2016
- Feb. 18, 2016 NYSDOH Information on Zika Virus Testing (outside of NYC)
- Jan. 19, 2016 CDC MMWR: Interim Guidelines for pregnant women during a Zika virus outbreak in the United States
- May, 2016: Letter from NYSDOH Health Commissioner concerning two public health challenges pertinent to women’s health: nicotine addiction and breastfeeding.
- August 11, 2015 -- NYS Health Advisory: Prevention and Control of Legionellosis (Legionnaires' disease) in Healthcare Facilities
- July 31, 2105 -- Public Health Update: Measles – First Fatality since 2003, 4 NYC Cases, and Dramatic Increase in Cases
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
- June 17, 2015 -- Public Health Update: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) now in Korea and continuing in the Arabian Peninsula. View the public health update, guidelines and information.
Attention all health care providers - CDC updates pertaining to ebola virus:
- Routinely obtain country-specific travel information to Ebola affected areas (currently Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia) in the 21 days before illness onset for any patient presenting with fever or other symptoms consistent with Ebola and ensure that this is communicated to all relevant staff;
- Isolate patients who report a travel history to an Ebola-affected country and who are exhibiting Ebola symptoms in a private room with a private bathroom and use PPE as per the most currrent CDC and NYSDOH guidance;
- Immediately notify the Westchester County Department of Health (914) 813-5000, 24 hours, 7 days a week, of any such individuals.
- Ebola Screening Algorithm for Emergency Department Settings (CDC 10/29/14)
- Ebola Screening Algorithm for Ambulatory Care Settings (CDC 10/31/14)
- Checklist for Patients Being Evaluated for EVD in the U.S. (CDC 10/27/14)
- Temperature monitoring log (WCDOH)
- Patient Care and Ebola (WCDOH)
Information for Health Care Professionals on Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
NYSDOH Public Health Update: Recommendations for vaccinations of Health Care Personnel (HCP)
The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYCDOHMH) strongly recommend protecting HCP and the patients they care for by promoting HCP vaccination initiatives.
- Public Health Update: Norovirus in Congregate Living Situations
- Norovirus Fact Sheet
- Norovirus Cleaning/Disinfecting Fact Sheet
- Handwashing Fact Sheet
NYSDOH/CDC Health Advisory: Tickborne Illness in NYS
Sept. 9, 2013
NYSDOH is reminding health care providers about the importance and burden of tickborne disease in NYS. The manual, TickBorne Diseases of the United States: A Reference Manual for Health Care Providers, published by the CDC contains information on tick identification, tickborne disease symptoms, laboratory testing and recommended treatment.
Free Primary Care Childhood Asthma Preceptorship
-Childhood Asthma Preceptorship Program offered by the New York Medical College Children’s Environmental Health Center.For more information or to schedule a preceptor session, please contact Jennifer Luchetta at (914) 493-7585 or by email at Jennifer_Luchetta@nymc.edu
Hurricane Related Issues and Recommendations
- NYSDOH Health Advisory: Hurricane Sancy Recommendations
- Guidance and Recommendations for Emergency Responders and Volunteers.