Tenants should speak to their building manager or landlord first to try to resolve any landlord-tenant complaints they have. If this does not lead to a resolution, such problems can usually best be addressed by your local town/city building department.  This includes rodent or insect infestations and complaints about heat or hot water.

As stated in the Westchester County Sanitary Code, whenever the outdoor temperature falls below 55 degrees Fahrenheit, rented homes and apartments must be maintained at no less than 68 degrees Fahrenheit between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. Overnight, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., rentals must be kept at no less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

For information on getting help if your apartment, workplace, school or day care is too cold for comfort, visit the New York State heat regulations website.